Wednesday, September 5, 2012

John's Raleigh Fixed Gear - Site Proprietor SS#1


John's Raleigh Fixed Gear Conversion
Hello Again,
     This is my Raleigh Fixed Gear conversion.  I had a very beat up Yellow Bumble Bee Raleigh Record laying around the shop for a long time.  At some point someone tried to convert it to a single speed and did a very poor and cheap job of it.
     I stripped and repainted the frame I also cut off all cable hanger guides on the frame and smoothed the areas out.  I added new wheels, the rear is a flip flop fixed gear hub and the front is just a nice lite alloy wheel.  I then added some Kenda tires with gum walls.  I love the classic look of the gum walls with this color.  I replaced the Bottom Bracket with lighter modern sealed bracket.  I also put a 46 tooth single speed crank set on to replace the old heavy cottered crank set.  You can see the build here http://johns-recycled-bicycle.blogspot.com/2012/07/raleigh-fixie-single-speed-conversion.html.
     I absolutely love this bike. I have only rode fixed, although it has a free wheel on the reverse side.  This is my favorite, I have never rode anything quite like it, so smooth, solid and nimble.  It is really hard describing why you love a bike.
     You could have seen me riding this bike on the path from Racine, WI and connecting with the Des Plain river trail.  Unfortunately I was riding this bike in Eau Claire, WI on a bike path that was painted on the side of a road.  I pick up cut me off, I slammed into the truck bed, flipped and landed in the truck bed.  The frame was totaled, the whole right side of my face was black and bruised and my ribs where soar for weeks.
     I will post later the reincarnation of the parts of this bike later.

Thanks,
John Z.

Front View


Drive Train

No comments:

Post a Comment